Thursday, August 9, 2012

Djurgården

Djurgården is a part of Stockholm situated on an island. It's well known for all the touristy places, museums and the like. My parents visited us on the way back home after their vacation, and luckily we also had a day off. Sightseeing time! We were going to look at an exhebition at Liljevalchs that I'd heard a lot of good things about. It's all about the art of hand crafting, or "Hemslöjd" as it's called in swedish.
Here's a map of Djurgården.

A fun thing about public transportation in Stockholm is that the bus cards work on ferries too (not only for busses and trains). And since we were going to an island we decided to use the Djurgård ferry. It's a walk-on ferry and it's usually packed with people since it arrives next to the amusement park Gröna Lund. As we drew closer to the harbour we could hear the excited screams from the various rides.

On the ferry, watching Gröna Lund
Liljevalchs was every bit as fun as I hoped, especially the main part of the exhibition: thousands of leafs crafted by people all over Sweden. Any technique you can think of - I saw it. Knitting, crochet, woodworking, paper, metal, cheramics, mixed media... I even saw a leaf featuring bee wax.

All the crafts...
And also: Riki is now famous! There was a public embroidery project as part of the exhibition. A huge tablecloth anyone could help embroider. I just had to put Riki on it, and I'm pretty pleased. I'm not very used to embroidery but I managed a deacent likeness, don't you think?

Riki, meet Riki (yes, I put her name on there too)

No comments:

Post a Comment